Melbourne, Australia, Australia
So I was supposed to fly up to Cairns this morning for a 3+ week trip around the north east coast of Australia, including a sailing trip through the Whitsunday Islands. Unfortunately, a category 5 (yes, that’s the worst there is) cyclone decided to come through that exact area today starting at noon! Yesterday involved calling the airline, every hostel I had booked going down the coast and the cruise company trying to reschedule everything for a week later. Luckily there was availability with all of the companies, so I am rebooked to go north next Wednesday instead.
I suppose I should count my lucky stars that I hadn’t already gone up there and gotten caught in 200 mph winds and storms that are meant to last 24 hours. I also heard that they are expecting some storm swells of about 4m (12 feet), so I’m going to have to wait a couple of days and see what kind of damage was done up there and if our hostels are even still standing. It might sound like hyperbole, but it’s not. They are expecting roofs to be ripped off buildings and all kinds of chaos, so we’ll see what happens in a week. Not exactly how I had planned it, but I’ll just have to roll with the punches and see what happens.
On a good note, it looks like I’ll have some time to check out the Great Ocean Road in the next few days now, so I might head out there tomorrow with Lisa. We have all this spare time with the tennis being finished, so we might as well see some sights. I’ll keep you updated on any further developments!